Monday, June 24, 2013

FATHER'S DAY, WEEKEND FUN AND MY LATEST HOBBY

We had a great Father's Day.  We went to church with Josh and Rachel which we always enjoy.  Afterwards, we went to eat at Outback which is probably Terry's all-time favorite restaurant.  Later that afternoon, we all went to Josh's brother's house for a fish-fry.  We had a great time with his family.  It is always such a relaxing time. 



My dad passed away on New Year's Day in 1998 after an automobile accident.  I remember my dad as a hard-working man of few words when I was growing up.  He lost his right arm in a work accident when he was 18 years old, but he never let that hinder him.  He never collected disability but worked at the same company as a chemist for 40 years.  I never remember anything that he couldn't do and I never looked at him as being handicapped.  He could tie his shoes, work on our cars, repair things around the house...you name it, he could do it.  The only time I remember having to help him do anything was when he would be working under the car and would call for one of us kids to come help hold a tool in place.  He was so proud of his daughters and the fact that we both married "preachers", and he told everyone he met. 


My sister lives in Tuscaloosa, Alabama where she and her husband pastor First Assembly of God.  Their daughter, Kelly, lives in Colorado.  She just had a baby, Joshua, and came to visit Charles and Brenda in Tuscaloosa.  We were going to be at Colliersville, TN on Sunday, so we left on Friday night and went to Tuscaloosa to see Kelly and her kids.  She also has a 2-1/2 year old, Abby.  We had such a nice time.  Abby is such a doll and has such a little personality! 




We left Tuscaloosa on Saturday afternoon and drove to Colliersville where Terry ministered on Sunday morning.  We had a great time with Jason and Kelly Murphy and their sweet little family.  The church service was wonderful, and afterwards we went out to eat with their family.  Their kids, Josiah, Kylah and Mariah are such delightful kids.  Terry and I love the time we get to spend with our ministers getting to know them and their families better.  It was a great day!!

I have added another hobby to my growing list of creative crafty things I love to do...I am now making wood signs.  We got Rachel a machine called a Silhouette Cameo for Christmas year before last.  She never had the time to use it because of her busy schedule, but near Christmas time this past year she used it for the first time to make some Christmas gifts.  I was hooked, and when they had a big sale of 40% off everything on Black Friday I ordered one for my Christmas gift from Terry (that's just how we roll!!).  It makes it so much easier for him, too!!  Here's a sampling of some of the signs I have made:
 






 

 




 




Sheila Harper, a pastor's wife here in Nashville, was having a ladies conference at her church and asked me to have a booth there.  I was a little apprehensive and wasn't going to do it at first, but I finally decided to do it.  It was a lot of fun.  Chris Brown, a friend, made me a stand to display my signs on. 

 
 
When we got back from Memphis late  yesterday afternoon, I went straight to my garden and guess what I found? 
 
 
I cannot tell you how excited I am!  And I have several more that should be ready to pick this week.  Sadly, though, I had to pull up my squash plants.  The squash would come on but then squishy, shrivel up and die.  I finally got so frustrated that I pulled them up yesterday afternoon.  I'm going to plant something else where they were, but I haven't decided what.
 
Okay, until next time!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment