Tuesday, August 7, 2012

MY "NEW" OLD MIRROR

I don't know why, but I love old things.  When I go to a garage sale or thrift store and see an old antique piece, my adrenaline really starts to flow and I get so excited!  I found this old mirror at a garage sale.  I loved the wide border and the beveled edge.  I even like that some of the shiny stuff has come off and it has a few black spots on it.  That's just what gives it more character in my opinion.  But, unlike some people, I usually don't like to leave them in their original condition...I like to make them "my own".

I almost forgot to take a "before" picture, so here it is with all the grimy stuff on it:


In the DIY world, there is this paint called Annie Sloan chalk paint, and it is VERY expensive.  It is the perfect paint to use when you want to distress the wood after you paint it.  It has more of a chalky, flat, matte finish.  So, I searched the Internet and found a DIY version of the paint you can make at a fraction of the cost. 


I painted the entire mirror with two coats of paint, let it dry completely between coats, and then used a medium grit sandpaper pretty much over the entire surface.  There's no special technique...it pretty much distresses itself.


I love the results! 


By the way, I got this little black vanity at a garage sale here in my neighborhood a few years ago.  It was already black, and I just changed out the knobs.  I'm sure it was in a bedroom in its previous state, but it's in my foyer now!  I love that it is on little wheels!


If you want to try your hand at using chalk paint, here is the recipe:

1-1/2 cups of paint
1/2 cup of plaster of paris (I found mine at Hobby Lobby)
1/4 to 1/2 cup hot water

Mix the plaster of paris and water until the plaster of paris is all dissolved and then stir into the paint.  It is supposed to be a little thicker than regular paint. 

I have several more projects I want to share with you.  I just haven't had time to make the pictures.  I'll get them done soon, though!

1 comment:

  1. Really nice description you have provided here regarding antique mirror. This article shows mirror designs that are really beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete