Monday, June 25, 2012

OUR WEEKEND

I went to an auction on Saturday with Michele, her daughter Laynie and their friend Tamara.  I love auctions, garage sales, thrift stores, you name it.  This was the estate of an 80-something year old woman.  She had SO much stuff.  There's no way you could have displayed it all in three houses! 









Tall man, short woman.



Tamara and her mother love glassware, and she found some great pieces.

Michele got a quilt and some tools.  I didn't get anything, although I bid on a few things.  I usually set a limit that I will bid in my head and don't go over that.  I wish I had gone higher on a couple of things (particularly a floor lamp I really liked), but it's okay. 

I don't have any, but I love the Fiesta dinnerware.  It is so bright, colorful and cheerful-looking.  I was planning to bid on it, but the price soared over my price limit quickly.

As I was sitting there, I got to thinking about how this woman's belongings that she had probably collected over her entire life were auctioned off to the highest bidder in a span of a few hours.  That's why it is so important that we store up our "treasures" in heaven, because at the end of our life only what we have done with Christ counts.  There's nothing wrong with wanting pretty things, but we have to keep it in the right perspective...it's just stuff.  We certainly won't take it with us.
When I got home, I checked my garden and had some ripecherry tomatoes (finally!!).  They didn't last long when Terry got home!


I made me a salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, my fresh basil from my deck and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.  It was so yummy!!


On Saturday afternoon, we drove to Columbia for a reception they were having for the Blythes who have pastored there for 37 years and are now retiring.  It was awesome to hear their church members get up one after the other and pay tribute to the Blythes.  After 37 years, they are still so loved and respected...that speaks of their integrity. 

On Sunday morning, we drove to Humboldt to install the new pastors there, Bill and Jessica McCoy.  Their daughters, Faith and Kristen, were there for the day as well.  It was a great service, and then we went out to eat with the McCoy family.  Have you ever met someone that you just knew you "clicked" from the moment you met them?  Well, that's how it was with this family.  It was really like we had known them for a long time.  We had a great time!!  Faith and Kristen live in Brentwood, so we are all going to meet up in Cool Springs and hang out some time.  We are SO happy to have them in Tennessee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment